Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:39:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Coda FS: FBSD port done!, but development favors Linux

Other kernel extensions we have been looking at include PAG support in the
kernel -- please see recent posts on freebsd-afs for some initial
discussion of this.

I, also, have been meeting with Peter :).  We had a fairly extensive
discussion of some authentication features yesterday -- I have not looked
at the inode code and as such I have not looked into possible security
problems.  As I understand it, the inode behavior is for performance
reasons only, and as such there are presumably alternatives.

I'm leaving for the airport in an our or so, but have a meeting scheduled
with Peter for Wednesday of next week to discuss security concerns in
various areas, including kernel code, kerberos support, and inter-server
communications.  My kerberos implementation is essentially complete;
addressing PAG-like issues was the concentration for our last meeting.
Our long-term goal is to work with various communities (such as FreeBSD,
Linux) to come up with a generalized authentication extension available to
distributed file systems (such as AFS, CFS) for associating tokens or
priveledges with a set of processes, not just with a UID.  Those of you
familiar with AFS will know that if you have two incoming telnets, one can
have rights to the file system while the other does not, depending on
whether you have klog'd or not.  There are numerous reasons for having
such a service -- for example, it would be nice if daemons running as root
did not have access to the same file system as a root shell elsewhere,
etc.

This might have uses in other areas also -- for example, it might interact
with management of keys for other services, such as IPsec, where the
kernel knows what authentication group each process is associated with,
and provides keys as appropriate.

It seems like freebsd-afs might be a better location for this discussion,
however -- at least until we figure out what the requirements are?

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/
robert@fledge.watson.org   http://www.watson.org/~robert/