Date:      Fri, 05 May 2000 23:41:51 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why would fxp be slower than ed?

At 11:29 PM 5/5/2000, Mike Nowlin wrote:

> > upgraded from 16K to 24K of RAM at the same time and kernel memory
>
>24K?!?!  Wow!  How'd you get the kernel that small?  :)

Oh, I just cut out the nonessential parts, such as syscons,
ffs -- unimportant stuff like that.

I meant 24M, of course. I just drove 3.5 hours and my blears are a
little eyery. ;-)

>I ran into a lot of PCI 486 boards that had "issues".  Keep in mind that
>the PCI spec was fairly incomplete and open to the manufacturer's
>interpretation as to how it should work.  I have a PCI 486 running as a
>little internal web server that bogged down incredibly when I put a
>Diamond PCI video card in it -- went back to the old ISA Trident 8900, and
>things were back to normal.

This one happens to have a Diamond PCI video card in it. It actually
works pretty well. Hmmm. I wonder if the problem is with having more
than one PCI card in the system? Since the system is text-based
I could put in an 8-bit Hercules card and a monochrome/TTL monitor.

>There may be some BIOS config settings in there that may help - bus
>priority/speed, IRQ designations, etc...  Depends on the board.

Well, we gave that socket IRQ 5 and thought that this would make
it pretty fast. The chipset is the Intel Saturn (Anyone know if
there are issues with this one?) and the board is a Zeos Rattler.
Lots of integrated peripherals (including optional SCSI) and very
reliable. It's worked flawlessly for years. I wonder why the
problems now.

>I'll bet you a shiny new penny (you pay for postage) that a cheap 75MHz
>Pentium board would reverse the problem.  My fxp cards blow the socks off
>the NE2K's that I replaced...

I was thinking of doing a motherboard upgrade. Trouble is, the case is
an AT tower, and AT (rather than ATX) motherboards can be difficult
to come by nowadays.

--Brett

"You're not just e-mailing her, you're e-mailing anyone she's ever
e-mailed."

-- Dayton Daily News Cartoonist Mike Peters on the "Melissa virus"