Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 11:35:50 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Nathaniel Schein" <nschein@prisa.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The size of root and swap

On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 15:01:17 PST, "Nathaniel Schein" wrote:

> Somewhere in a man page or Complete FreeBSD version 2.x.x I remember a
> suggestion that the root partition should be small in order to reduce the
> possibility of corruption. Is this really a factor?

No.

> What happens if somebody dumps a huge file in /tmp?

You close his or her account. :-)

Lots of folks use MFS for their /tmp partition, so its use does not
affect the root partition. See the MFS option dcescription at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html

> Should the / directory's size vary depending on
> the availability of space? What is the suggested size and why?

Check out sysinstall's own suggested size, with the Auto option in the
fdisk UI.

> Also, it used to be that the amount of swap was 2x the memory. Is this
> still true or since memory commonly 128-256MB+ is there a suggested
> upper bound?

I think the generally touted magic number is 2.1x RAM depending on
expected usage. The more swap you have, the more potential there is for
paging. If you have "too much swap", it'll take a lot of paging before a
moggy process runs out of memory and is killed.

Ciao,
Sheldon.