Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:35:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Petr M. Swedock" <petr@MIT.EDU>
To:        pankaj@sarai.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make in freebsd

 : <snip>
 : >
 : > No, it is a feature of the makefiles. 'Make' itself doesn't know
 : > anything about fetching sources and so on.
 : > Most of the dirty work is done in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk which is
 : > included by the port makefiles.
 :
 : which means I can safely use a similar makefile and have it *nix specific
 : and also download what i need automatically. I may be asking dumb questions
 : cuz i dont know anything about Makefiles I better go  RTFM <-- any links

Make is a command generator. It's (basic) purpose is to avoid having
to type 'gcc -o $foo $foo.o -DHAVETHIS -Iwherever -Iwhereverelse -Opi blah
blah blah' for every *.o file in a given program and keep track of all
the dependencies when compiling.  But it's rather general, such that
it's not picky about which commands it generates. In the instance of
the FreeBSD ports, it is used to generate ftp commands.

FreeBSD_cli> man make  (BSD)
MAKE(1)    FreeBSD General Commands Manual   MAKE(1)

NAME
     make - maintain program dependencies
<snip>

FreeBSD_cli> man gmake (gnu make)
MAKE(1L)               LOCAL USER COMMANDS               MAKE(1L)

NAME
       make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs
<snip>

Peace,

Petr