Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2017 20:09:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
To:        James Geering <j.geering@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot .configure WindowMaker 0.95.8 - Xmu lib issues

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017, the wise James Geering wrote:

> Hi All, I have just moved from RedHat and have progressed with the
> learning curve of moving to FreeBSD. I'm running 11.1-release #0 r321309
> amd64. I have installed Xorg and am running WindowMaker 0.95.7
> successfully. Both installed using "pkg install <***>"
>
> Out of interested I wanted to try the more recent WindowMaker 0.95.8 and
> downloaded the source from http://windowmaker.org/.  I followed the
> how-to of extract and configure steps but am having problems with
> .configure step. The script stops with the information:-
>
>  "checking for Xmu library... configure: error: library Xmu not found"
>
> however, Xmu library seems to be installed as reported by cd'ing to
> /usr/local/ports/x11-toolkits/libXmu/ and issuing "make install clean".
> The command reports the library is already installed.  Also I find the
> *.h at /usr/local/include/X11/Xmu.  However I cannot find a .lib file -
> should I be able to, and if so why does ports think it is installed.
>
> Clearly, I am misunderstanding what the error message is telling me.
> Thus, I would be grateful if someone could give me hint of what is going
> on, I have Googled extensively but cannot work through this issue - so
> am posting here.

You should only build and install software by ports or pkg in FreeBSD. So
the port needs an update.

I've filed a bugreport in june for the upgrade of x11-wm/windowmaker to
0.95.8 but unfortunately this hasn't been committed yet. Windowmaker
0.95.8 runs fine here though.

Regards,
Marco

--
Ask not for whom the Bell tolls, and you
will pay only the station-to-station rate.