Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 2014 00:11:04 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 15:02:27 -0800, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> FYI the only "package-like" command I
> have ever typed is "portsnap" and "make".  I have never typed pkg or
> pkgng and I'm not sure why I would... except if I wanted to install a
> pre-compiled binary.  So I'm a bit confused as to why someone who only
> uses "portsnap" and "make" would be asked questions about the "format"
> of my "pkg".

When you install a port with "make install", the pkg tools
will maintain the system's database of what is being installed
and where. This is no separate process. No matter if you
just run "make install" or use portmaster or portupgrade,
pkg will take actions. You can easily conclude why a command
like "make deinstall" works - and how pkg is involved. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany