Date:      Sun, 02 May 1999 14:58:25 +0900
From:      Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
To:        nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de
Cc:        tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp, zinnia@jan.ne.jp, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for Review: Voxware midi driver for serial ports

From: Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 02:15:00 +0200

nox> On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 10:27:35AM +0900, Seigo TANIMURA wrote:
nox> > On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 22:15:05 +0200,
nox> >   Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> said:
nox> >
nox> > >> Another bad news, I tried driving my SC-88 connected directly to a PC using
nox> > >> Windows 95 and Portman PC/S driver, to find a miserable result. I saw no midi
nox> > >> messages come properly, so Portman PC/S should be cooking the signals in some way...
nox> >
nox> > nox> Or uses a higher speed than 38k4, can you check that?  Hmm, or maybe
nox> > nox> i should just take my old Atari MSTe and use that as serial<->midi
nox> > nox> interface...
nox> >
nox> >
nox> > Bitrate > 38.4k... I wish I had a looooong serial cable. The PC I had a test
nox> > on the Portman driver is not in my room, and it is not a portable one.
nox> >
nox> > Atari, I have only heard the name. I played with an Acorn when I was a kiwi.
nox>
nox> Acorn, what CPU did it have again? :)

Sorry, it was not mine, so I have no idea. I remember that Acone had a FM synthesizer
in it, no midi interfaces. It sounded like a flat harpsichord, which was good at that
time(in 1993, six years ago).

nox>  Anyway I now have restored the m68k-atari crosscompiler from tape and made
nox> a little /dev/midi <-> /dev/modem2 connection program.  Well, it works!
nox> Now, does anyone know a sequencer program that has a tick display and
nox> that can record one track while playing back another?  rosegarden can only
nox> do one thing at a time...

Playing and recording simultaneously? I wish I knew one...

nox>  Oh and i had to patch this to get my kernel to build:
nox>
nox> Index: i386/conf/files.i386
nox> @@ -225,8 +225,10 @@
nox>  i386/isa/sound/uart6850.c	optional	uart	device-driver
nox>  i386/isa/sound/uart16550.c	optional	uartsio	device-driver
nox>  i386/isa/sound/midi_synth.c	optional	uart	device-driver
nox> +i386/isa/sound/midi_synth.c	optional	uartsio	device-driver
nox>  i386/isa/sound/midi_synth.c	optional	css	device-driver
nox>  i386/isa/sound/midibuf.c	optional	uart	device-driver
nox> +i386/isa/sound/midibuf.c	optional	uartsio	device-driver
nox>  i386/isa/sound/midibuf.c	optional	css	device-driver
nox>  i386/isa/sound/trix.c		optional	trix	device-driver
nox>  i386/isa/sound/adlib_card.c     optional        trix    device-driver
nox>
nox>  (the box has no sound card so these files were not compiled before.)

Fixed the patch, thanks!

Seigo TANIMURA           |M2, Nakagawa Lab, Dept of Electronics & CS
=========================|Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ