Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:41:26 -0800
From:      "Robert Banniza" <robert@rootprompt.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Layer 4 load balancing...

This may not be the right place to discuss this but I think it's worth a
shot. I have been looking at the Linux Virtual Server project lately to find
a solution of Layer 4 switching (load balancing) for web/ftp/smtp for the
ISP I work for. I have noticed that the only type solution found for *BSD is
the BigIP F5 hardware appliance running their own software with BSDi as the
OS. I was wondering if anyone has thought of or made plans to incorporate
some type of layer 4 switching into FreeBSD whether it is built into the
kernel or whether it could be part of ports. I would like to "try" (I use
this term loosely as I have no idea what I'm doing) as get something going
like this for FreeBSD. I would also like for the solution to be open source
as Layer 4 switches are expensive and there are not a lot of free solutions
out. Anyone have any opinions on the idea? Maybe I'm way off topic here but
I would at least like to start here. I need be, I will move the discussion
elsewhere where it properly belongs.

Robert