Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 1995 21:51:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        mpp@legarto.minn.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Check the date and time at boot

> On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > > Is there any interest in some /etc/rc changes (along with a small
> > > helper program) to check if the system date and time may be
> > The more correct way to fix this is to use either ntpdate or timed
> > at boot time.  Both are already supported by /etc/rc and /etc/sysconfig,
> > I don't think we need yet a third way to get the date right during boot.
>

> The flaw here is that not everybody is connected to the internet to run a
> clock-checker program...

And these are the same types of people who are likely to turn there
machines off for more than a few hours, causing this little utility to
falsely trigger ever time they boot.

No thanks, I don't want to answer all those newbie silly bug reports :-)

But I suppose since it would have an /etc/sysconfig knob, with the
default state to be off, if it where to be implemented the way that
Sun or HP/Apollo did it and use the superblock time stamp instead of
some cron job I would be willing to bring it in.