Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 02:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet Another bug in src/Makefile

 * I am not talking about ports.

I know.  I'm talking about the modifications I made, after a few
months of testing both here and on various other lists.

 * I sure as hell do not want to rebuild "more", or even do a make install
 * in /usr/src/include.  I want to buildd the *absolute* minimum for the
 * delta I am playing with -- and not *one file* more or less than that.

I suggest you go read the new src/Makefile.  Nothing is built by
installing stuff in /usr/src/include anymore.

There is no target to do exactly what you want, but it is very easy to
add a target that will build any subset you want and put it in a
separate subdirectory tree as this is essentially what's done in the
first few steps of "buildworld".

 * I find it really surprising that you can in any way believe a
 * reference to a <machine/*> file can be in any way satisfied by the
 * contents of /usr/src/sys/i386/include, save for me doing a rebuild
 * of my /usr/include directory.

That's what DESTDIR is for.  The framework was already mostly there,
we only needed to fix some little stuff other than the big patch to
src/Makefile.

Satoshi