Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:34:27 -0600
From:      Alan Edmonds <alan.edmonds@sterling.com>
To:        mike ryan <mikeryan@post.harvard.edu>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient failure due to timeout limit on select

I was just going to submit a pr for this.  I think it's a
bug in the select() routine.  At least it's not documented
as having an upper limit.  It's of type time_t or long depending.

We use QIP to manage out IP space and I have a "Manual DHCP"
address (in their terminology).  It's basically a static IP
but delivered via DHCP and an effectively infinite renewal time.

I'd hate to patch the isc-dhcp client just for FreeBSD's select,
but I guess it could be done.

Cheers,
Alan

mike ryan wrote:

> observed on 4-stable, though this appears to be equally relevant on
> 3-stable and current:
>
> select() returns EINVAL on timeouts of more than 100 million seconds
> due to an apparently arbitrary limit in itimerfix().  this causes
> dhclient to bail after obtaining a lease exceeding that limit.  my
> rcn cable modem service, for example, sets a renewal time of
> 1073741823 seconds.  while this pretty much means "don't bother
> renewing", it'd still be nice if dhclient didn't give up.
>
> is there a reason why there needs to be a 100000000 second limit in
> select and/or itimerfix?

Alan Edmonds, KB5ZUY               Sterling Software
                                   M/S 132
Phone: +1-972-801-6485             5800 Tennyson Pkwy.
Email: alan.edmonds@sterling.com   Plano, TX, USA  75024