Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:00:51 -0700
From:      Andrew Bradford <andrew@bradfordtg.com>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg nv 0 videoram and insufficient memory for mode

On Thu Mar 26 2009 01:36AM, Robert Noland wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 21:23 -0700, Andrew Bradford wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like some help with an issue I'm having with Xorg on FreeBSD 7.1 amd64.  X seems to ignore all videoram on my secondary video card.  I have 3G of system RAM in the machine, could it be related to memory barriers?
> >
> > The machine specs are as follows: (onboard) GeForce 6150, PCI-E GeForce 6600.  I am using the "nv" driver.
> >
> > Up until last week, the system was working happily. Both screens working great without issue.  Upon reboot the PCI-E video card does not get properly detected by X.  In the Xorg log file, is "NV(0): VideoRAM: 0 kBytes" (followed by "insufficient memory for mode" for all video modes).
> >
> > The sudden appearance after a reboot may have simply been a driver that had been built but not yet loaded.  I had been upgrading the system the previous week.  I tested out the hardware with some live cds to make sure the card isn't dying.
> >
> > I've looked high and low on the web, and the only posting I can see that's relevant is this one:
> > http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=xorg&a=2008-02&t=6547682
> > from last year.  He appears to have the same problem as I do.  The only response points to a pciaccess mail thread, indicating that HW access in Xorg was being reworked.
> >
> > The thread is from last year, has the issue not been resolved yet?  Are there any workarounds?  The only other driver I can use would be this Nouveau one I heard about on freebsd-x11, but that would involve another system upgrade, and it is currently marked as broken.  The Vesa driver doesn't work on my cards, and nvidia won't support amd64...
> >
> > I tried rebuilding the nv driver and xorg-server with various versions from ports, with the same issue.  I just finished rebuilding with ports from Feb 1 -- same thing.
> >
> > I've attached Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf.new.  The config file was generated using X -configure (and cleaned because nv detected all pci devices in the system).
>
> The issue is in fact the switch to libpciaccess, along with a lot of
> changes to Xserver.  The issue is due to legacy vga handling.  The issue
> is being discussed a bit more lately, but no resolution is at hand.
> Most modern cards have a way to deal with this, but it isn't a
> generalized solution.  So, for right now, multiple cards generally don't
> work, for linux, solaris or us...

Oh dear, I was afraid of that.

There's probably not enough information to pinpoint a version, but would downgrading to Xserver 1.4.2 (or an even older version) work?  Or, alternately, is there an ETA on the switch to libpciaccess?

Do you know in which version the libpciaccess changes were introduced?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew