Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:56:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Prisoner <spatula@gulf.net>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> narcissus% cat /usr/local/bin/foo
> #!/bin/sh
> foo
> narcissus%
>
> This slowed my system to a crawl, filled up swap, and caused several
> processes to die.  The dead processes made X unhappy enough to lock up my
> machine.  Can anything be done (kernel config settings, etc.) to prevent
> stuff like this from happening?

   Once, in an effort to try to crash my machine (while I was having page
fault problems; I wanted another trace), I ran this script:

#!/bin/bash
spork &
spork &
spork

   I managed to get my system load up to 21.19 and fill up my process
table, but the machine never crashed.  I had to reboot because I couldn't
fork a kill process.

   Nick

--
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the
crowd.  The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no