Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 07:36:10 -0800
From:      Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Discussion on the future of floppies in 5.x and 6.x

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:39:34AM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> It would require a whole new floppy booter setup, but I can see
> other OS projects using something like this as well, so perhaps
> some cross work with NetBSD or OpenBSD, or even the Linux camp could
> make an open source "load an image" floppy, that since it just
> loaded an ISO could load about anything.

If I understand you right..
A floppy boot, which loads the absolutely basic stuff (network drivers,
and some easy way to config the network) and then goes and grabs the
installer would otherwise be on the current floppies and "boots" it?

This sounds like a good solution - they we wouldn't have to worry about:
  If people have cd burners or not
  The size of the installer (for most practical purposes as long as the
installer itself doesn't hit 600Mb :P)
  Compatibility with CD drives