Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:30:45 -0700
From:      "Michael Collette" <metrol.net@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flash sound through esound

For the record, just installing the linux esound does not just make it
work.  Here are some of the steps that do get it to work though.

The flash player looks for a couple of things for sound support. One
is /tmp/.esd/socket. This must be created on the X server.

mkdir /tmp/.esd
touch /tmp/.esd/socket

The other thing flash is looking for is libesd.so.1. The linux-esound
library also looks for libesd.so.0. This must be created on the X
server as well.

cd /usr/local/lib
ln -s libesd.so.2 libesd.so.0
ln -s libesddsp.so.2 libesddsp.so.0
ln -s libesd.so.2 libesd.so.1
ln -s libesddsp.so.2 libesddsp.so.0

cd /compat/linux/usr/lib
ln -s libesd.so.0.2.36 libesd.so.1
ln -s libesd.so.0.2.36 libesd.so.2
ln -s libesddsp.so.0.2.36 libesddsp.so.1
ln -s libesddsp.so.0.2.36 libesddsp.so.2

After all that, linux-firefox properly recognizes the ESPEAKER
environment variable, and sound is directed through it automatically.

Perhaps either the flash7 or esound ports need to check for these
links and create them as needed upon installation?  It'd just be nice
to have it work out of the box so to speak.

--
"When you come to a fork in the road....Take it"
- Yogi Berra