Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:59:14 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: Which programming shell, sh or csh?

Actually, as I recall shell functions weren't introduced until System V
(I think they were actually an idea "back-ported" from ksh), so when
csh was written they didn't exist.

Csh introduced many things that were cool for interactive users: command
history; builtins for various things; aliases; a "login only" startup
file; ...

It's also neat to be able to put stdout and sterr in a file together in
one hit, but pretty ugly if you want to redirect them separately.  Also
I love the sh ability to treat direct stdin and stdout for a loop...

Basically, sh stomps all over csh for IO handling.  And with the addition
of shell functions there is little unique that csh offers for scripting.

In my youth I might have coded some csh scripts, but now I wouldn't bother.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319