Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:13:59 -0600
From:      "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
To:        Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disappointed with version 6.0

On Saturday 11 March 2006 20:03, Peter wrote:
> > OK, does dmesg still give this with the cdrom removed:
> >
> > ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, device found non-ATA66 cable
> > ad0: 39205MB <Maxtor 6K040L0 NAR61HA0> at ata0-master UDMA33
> > acd0: CDROM <GCR-8525B/1.02> at ata0-slave PIO4
> > ad2: 190782MB <Seagate ST3200826A 3.03> at ata1-master UDMA100
> > ad3: 286168MB <Seagate ST3300831A 3.03> at ata1-slave UDMA100
> > Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> >
> > If the message for ad0 has changed, and it is now detected as an
> > ata100
> > device and is running at UDMA100, you've solved part of your
> > problem.
>
> dmesg now says:
>
> ad0: 39205MB <Maxtor 6K040L0 NAR61HA0> at ata0-master UDMA133
> ad2: 190782MB <Seagate ST3200826A 3.03> at ata1-master UDMA100
> ad3: 286168MB <Seagate ST3300831A 3.03> at ata1-slave UDMA100
>
> So ad0's speed has increased by 100 MB/s?

I was guessing that it was an ata100, it seems to be an ata133 instead.
Now you can see what the difference is when connecting a hard-drive
with a cdrom.

> > Your system will access the boot drive at a higher speed.
> >
> > ad3 is still detected but you can't access it. So, I have to ask:
> > when
> > you set up the system, did you install a ufs system on it? Did you
> > carve it up using bsdlabel? Or, did you leave it alone because you
> > plane on using it for something else? This would be a reason for
> > why it
> > shows up on dmesg, but you can't access it.
>
> Yes, per install defaults ufs (and most probably soft updates) was
> used.  Everything was done via the default sysinstall procedure.  I
> said to use "entire drive" and then made one partition.  It creates
> /dev/ad3s1d.
>
> I just entered sysinstall again to start fresh and during the format
> portion "Doing newfs" I hear some sounds I've never heard before on a
> hard drive.  Like a mechanical arm is trying to move but it keeps
> bouncing back.  Then I get:
>
> "Error mounting /dev/ad3s1d on /images : Input/output error"
>
> But if there was something mechanically wrong then my dos-level
> diagnostics would of picked it up (I had an disk excercise tool
> running on it for 20 minutes without any problems).

No, Microsloth makes things run (or appear to run) by hiding a lot of
information from you. When did you run the dos-level diagnostics on the
disk, before or after you installed FreeBSD? I ask because if it was
after, well, dos-level disk diagnostics can't access a ufs formated
disk without doing nasty things to what's on it. If was before, you
should have run spinrite 6.0 on it, but that's going to run for about ,
oh say, at a wild guess, on a drive that size, 2 or 3 days. Your twenty
minute run on that drive wouldn't really tell you much unless the drive
was drastically failing.

> > Now, you need to do something about the cdrom. It's kind of unhandy
> > be without one. That's why I asked if you really needed the 40GB
> > Maxtor
> > and if you did, suggested you get an ata controller card, then you
> > could use all three drives. And I also asked if you could just
> > remove
> >
> > that drive and use the two Seagates.
>
> I need all three drives:
>
> 1. system drive (40 GB)
> 2. client data backups (200 GB)
> 3. client data images (300 GB)
>
> The #3 drive (the problematic one) will actually be removed offsite
> once the (client hard drive) images have been stored.  And this is
> where I might be able to weasel out of my current predicament.  I can
> put back the cdrom afterwards.
>
> > I guess there's one other question: how did you get from 5.4 to
> > 6.0, and is it 6.0 or is it 6 STABLE?
>
> No, no.  This is a brand new install of 6.0 (I can therefore mess
> around with impunity).  When I mentioned "go back to 5.4" I did not
> mean to imply I upgraded.

Just don't cable back with the cdrom.

> --
> Peter

Now, what about your usb? a message like:
uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xb800-0xb81f irq 21 at device
16.0 on pci0 uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

Nothing wrong with that message. Base on that message, you don't have a
problem. It's when you see messages like irq storm on  <some device>
throttling source, or device returns some error message, or can't
assign an irq, then you know you've got a problem that's going to
require some swapping around on the pci bus. As a matter of fact, I was
having usb problems until I went 6-RELEASE to 6-STABLE. Which at that
time I was able to determine that it wasn't actually a usb problem, I
was having a problem with a modem and bad usb mouse. I pulled the modem
and was going to throw it away, put it away instead, until I had a need
for one at which point I found out that it's position on the pci bus
made the difference in whether it would play nicely with the cards or
not. The mouse did get tossed, it would work intermittently under
windows and FreeBSD would only get to a certain load point and then
reboot. Actually, finding it was a little more difficult than I've
said.

Don