Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:49:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Aram Khalili <aram@cs.umd.edu>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: corrupted superblock/fsck problem

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Ian Dowse wrote:

> If fsck finishes successfully using "fsck -b 32" (i.e. you are
> satisfied that the master superblock is intact),

Is the superblock at block 32 the master superblock?  The man page (I
think offhand) says that it would be the first alternate.

> then the tunefs
> program can be used to rewrite all the secondary superblocks:
>
> 	tunefs -A /dev/whatever

Thanks, that may have fixed my problem.

> Fsck never attempts to change the backup superblocks itself. These
> are written when the filesystem is first created and they are not
> modified by the kernel, so there should never be a need for them
> to be updated.

Why are backups kept then?  They're not kept in synch with the master
superblock?  When I read stuff about ext2fs on Linux, the documentation
said it marks all superblock copies dirty when it changes the master
superblock.  Seems like a good idea.

-aram