Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 05:13:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, tlambert@primenet.com, jkb@best.com, netmonger@genesis.ispace.com, thallgren@yahoo.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linus on IRC

Terry Lambert said:
> > > Er, uh, I meant slashdot.org.
> >
> > Slashdot is a Linux box, according to queso:
> >
> > root@flood ~# /usr/local/sbin/queso www.slashdot.org
> > 206.170.14.75:80        * Standard: Solaris 2.x, Linux 2.1.???, MacOS
> >
> > Solaris and MacOS don't sound very likely, which leaves us with Linux.
>
> I was petulantly defending the honor and widespread use of Linux,
> as counter examples to the "FreeBSD runs Yahoo" claim.  Only my
> first two counter examples didn't work. ;-).
>
> Jokes just aren't as funny, if you have to explain them...

Easy to misunderstand them, especially when emotions run high.  I remember
one time that I told Linus that I wasn't going to hack FreeBSD to make it
benchmark faster, and he interpreted it as being that I said that Linux
had been hacked to make it benchmark faster.  My language was unambiguous,
but apparently there was a presumption that what I said wasn't what I meant.

Written communication is sometimes difficult, when either the recipient cannot
read (like in the above case), or when the sender tries to be humorous (and that
has happened to me also.)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid