Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:27:17 -0700
From:      David Burton <odyseus2000@earthlink.net>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: asus recommendation

no onboard video.
It does have on board sound which was above it. I thought this
perhaps percluded them. However I was at a computer store that
had different mboards laying out(still in the ESD sack) so you could
look at them i.e. on display.  I was looking at some of the asus
ones and noted another model that had the on board audio but implemented
both com ports beneath it on the first row, so it was definately because
they couldnt do it. though perhaps with that chipset maybe had problems
routing the traces from the chip to the connector, so they just made
it into a header instead.  Other than that just laziness is the only
other reason.  Or perhaps I am remember it wrong and that second connector
wasnt a com port but rather a video port, but even if that is the case I
would think they could put a com port in that real estate.

I like my Tyan but the traces are too close to the mounting screw hole
and such that they recommend using plastic stanoffs and only one screw
and the installed cards to hold it in place. sound like a jurry-rig.
so I havent fired that one up yet because I was putting it in an old full
tower AT case I had and cannot do it as they recommend. I am pretty sure
the metal standoffs are not on any traces.  I pray :-).

And of course no issues with my Intel Seattle BX-2.