Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 1997 09:58:17 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD floppy disk driver does not work...

As Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> Not just one floppy --- all floppies.
>
> > Maybe the BIOS retries it differently, more often, or whatever.  Or,
> > the floppy got scratched after the initial installation.

This makes it really weird then.  The FreeBSD floppy driver doesn't do
any fancy things, no scary optimizations, no nothing.  (The Linux
driver, by comparision, is much more tuned, like reading entire tracks
at once, automagic format detection, etc.  The FreeBSD driver is just
`KISS'.)

What kind of drive is it, is it perchance a 2.88 MB drive?  What kind
of floppy controller (don't give a penny to FreeBSD's boot messages in
this case, do open the cover and see what chip is there)?  Does it
happen for all media at the same locations?  Try to find out whether
another drive on the same controller, or this drive on another
controller behave similarly.  If you can send me the failing
combination of devices, i could debug it, if you like.

Does it also when formatting a floppy with this drive/controller
combination?

--
cheers, J"org