Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:33:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

it was this announcement, but it's only words, the reallity can be
very different...

the equations are quite simple

step 1
------
bsd/os  = $$ for bsdi
freebsd = lack of bsd/os sold by bsdi --> lack of $$ for bsdi

step 2
------
merge + give code to freebsd --> lack of $$ but future investment
bsdi unhappy to have given code but thinking to the future
freebsd users happy of the new features

... a few months ...

freebsd users 'addicted' by the new features

... a few other months ...

bsdi is doing everything to slow down the development of freebsd...

... a few other months ...

step 3
------
freebsd is late behind bsd/os
some freebsd users have started to pay for bsd/os [too many drivers /
features are missing in freebsd and bsd/os is the nearest compatible
system so it's easyier to move from freebsd to bsd/os rather than to
linux]

... 1 .. 2 .. 3 years ...

step 4
------
freebsd is dead
freebsd users are now running bsd/os (big bucks for BSD/OS)
finally it was a good operation for BSDI

I've already seen this mechanism several times in the past

sorry, that's how I see the things, even if I hope that I'm wrong
that's also how some of my clients / friends see the things

--
Didier Derny
didier@omnix.net