Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:38:45 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Horecki <morr+lists@morr.pl>
Cc:        Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Subject:   Re: CVS removal from the base

--RIYY1s2vRbPFwWeW

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 05:31:15PM +0100, Daniel Horecki wrote:
> Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com> writes:
>=20
> > There is also mirports from MirBSD that  is supported on MirBSD, Midnig=
htBSD, and Mac OS X. They also got a pkgsrc port going recently. The proble=
m is that projects have specific needs that other systems don't have. FreeB=
SD ports are by far the largest and very fast to build. Pkgsrc comes out qu=
arterly so it takes a long time to get patches in or updates as Dragonfly g=
oes through. With MidnightBSD, we wanted all ports to go through fake insta=
ll so our packages would work all the time and we could write package tools=
 customized for the ports tree.=20

> > Every BSD has different needs and different users.=20
> >
>=20
> You can use pkgsrc-current, which is updated all the time.
> It also supports installation to fake DESTDIR, from where binary packages
> are made and then installed. It is useful, if you are building as unprivi=
leged user.
> And pkgsrc already supports FreeBSD.
>=20
What you are pointing here: fake DESTDIR, binary packages and building as
unpriviledged, are fairly easy to add to FreeBSD, I'm working on all this.
it is not complicated, but it takes a lot of time, no need to go elsewhere =
get those features, the ports tree is almost able to handle it.

regards,
Bapt

--RIYY1s2vRbPFwWeW

--RIYY1s2vRbPFwWeW--