Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:14:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        rittle@labs.mot.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/36327: trap within cvt() while attempting to printf() an FP number

Loren James Rittle writes:

 > In any event, it is not the code for d/10 that traps.  It is code
 > inside cvt() which is called from vfprintf().  Two issues: Should a
 > library routine ever internally trap; no matter what the mask setting?
 > Shouldn't there be some way to disable the trap?

There is currently no way to disable the trap for routines which are
not compiled with -mieee.  The library is not compiled with -mieee, so
even if you don't get the trap in your code, you may get the trap in a
library.  (I compile my libm with -mieee so that Konqueror doesn't crash with
FPE's on poorly written javascript code, its worth the slowdown.  Patch appended.)

Ross Harvey over at NetBSD seems to have implemented something which
optionally allows software completion to happen on instructions without
the software completion flag set.  I'm not sure if we could do this.
Doug, what do you think?

Drew