Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:17:05 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MOTD -- Warning banners

Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:00:47PM +0100, J. S. wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a nice example of one, with good layout and good "lawyer
>>+ sysadmin" language?
>>
>>=)
> Waste of time.

Sheese ... a lot of defeatism crunched into 3 words.

> If someone has got into your system they are hardly likely to be
> put off by message threatening them with legal action .. at least
> not unless you know the legalities of every country in the world.

No, but you can protect yourself legally in most countries by putting
something intelligent and to the point there.

> You might try:
>
> "F*uk off, this is private property."

That would be a "waste of time" as it wouldn't help much in court.

> I suppose telling them that every keystroke they type is being recorded
> may be required legally, although the cracker will probably guess you
> are telling lies.

But what if you really *are* tracking them, because you've detected their
intrusion and you're trying to build enough evidence to file a lawsuit?
In that case, you'd better have stated that you're monitoring somewhere
or all your hard won evidence my be dismissed.

> Any way if he does
> # cd /
> # rm -rf *
>
> Recording it isn't going to be much of a comfort.

I disagree ... it would comfort me greatly to know that the jerk who managed
to hose one of my servers is going to have a hard time staying out of jail
because I was smart enough to nail him.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology