Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:21:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        Alex.Kovalenko@verizon.net (Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Averatec AV1020 review

> On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 05:00 +0000, Bill Paul wrote:
>

> > Suspend mode: trying to suspend with zzz just makes the laptop freeze
> > up and it never recovers until I power cycle it. I sort of expected this
> > (suspend didn't work on my previous laptop either) and I'm not really that
> > broken up about it.
> >
> If you fill adventurous, you might try commenting out infinite 'for'
> loop towards the bottom of acpi_sleep_machdep()
> in /usr/src/sys/i386/acpica/acpi_wakeup.c and see if it changes
> anything. On mine (Averatec 3150H) suspend apparently is handled by the
> BIOS and resumes at the suspend point as opposed to calling resume
> vector.

I tried this, but it didn't seem to make much difference. The behavior
I observed originally is this:

- Run zzz (or acpiconf -s 3)
- Laptop display remains on, but seems frozen
- Pressing the enter key seems to make the fan suddenly come to life and
  spin faster, but laptop does not unfreeze
- Pressing additional keys makes the fan turn on and off, but the laptop
  still doesn't unfreeze

Last night when I tried it, the behavior was similar, except now the
screen would also turn off when tried to enter suspend mode, and it would
come back on when I pressed the enter key, but it would still be frozen.

> Also, I have cobbled together set of thermal states for 3150H. I don't
> know how similar 1020 AML is, but if you are interested, send me a note
> and I will mail you "before" and "after" sources.

I'd be interested to see this, yes. I tried to tweak the AML for the 1020
a little and got it to stop complaining about some of the methods being
buggy, e.g.:

    ACPI-0225: *** Error: Store into Alias - should never happen
    ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_TZ_.RTMP] (Node 0xc19a2300), AE_AML_INTERNAL
    ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_TZ_.THRM._TMP] (Node 0xc19a21e0), AE_AML_INTERNAL

But I'm not sure what I did was correct. I get this message when the
laptop first boots up (presumeably when it's launching the acpi_thermal
thread), and I see similar messages when I press the 'toggle display
on/off' and 'toggle between LCD/CRT display' function keys. I did manage
to make the 'display on/off' key work, but not the other.

If you want to look at it, I put a copy of the DSDT dump and AML in

http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/averatec

I really wonder how they make this stuff work in Windows.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul@windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose