Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 10:18:01 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad144 missing?

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 02:13:17PM +1000, Jonathan Michaels wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 10:00:24AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 08:49:46PM +0400, Grigoriy Strokin wrote:
> > > Accidentally, I've found out that /usr/sbin/bad144 in my fbsd 4.0
> > > is dated by December, and there is no bad144 in /usr/src.
> > > So, has it disappeared?
> >
> > Yes it has been removed.  Modern drives do it for you.  By the time you
>
> my "modern drive" dosen't, it is a 1992 fujitsu 345 mb esdi
> with 6 bad sectors in the manufactuers 'bad blocks table' that
> even after some sever abuse over the years has failed to add
> one bad block ... unlke the so called new rubbish that drops
> bad blocks as soon as you look at it or breat in its direction.

> > actually see bad blocks your disk is about to die.  IIRC, the code was
> > suffering from bitrot and the drives that really needed it will (ESDI
> > and MFM mostly) aren't supported in 5.0.
>
> and what of all the people who still use this kind of hardware ?
>
> what are they supposed to do ?

This discussion has been brought up before over and over again (I did bring
it up once). But at this point there is only one workaround left: run an old
version of FreeBSD that has the desired bad144 functionality.

Or add bad144 onto 5.x/4.x yourself. But don't be surprised if it would not
accepted in the main code repository.

W/

--
Wilko Bulte 		Powered by FreeBSD  	http://www.freebsd.org