Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:49:00 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos <jorgeassembler1@outlook.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The source code of  *BSD contains the comment  =?UTF-8?B?4oCY?= =?UTF-8?B?RG9lcw==?= this belong =?UTF-8?B?aGVyZT/igJk=?=

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:38:08 +0300, Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos wrote:
> The source code of  *BSD contains the comment  ‘Does this belong here?’

Does the source code also contain an implicit or explicit
answer to that question?

On the other hand:

The source code of "Word for Windows" made by the MICROS~1
corporation contains the word 'fuck' three (!) times!

./Opus/asm/wordgrep.asm:; BP  is used as always, the other registers are free to fuck with.
./Opus/asm/wordgrep.asm:        je      another_fucking_out_of_range_jump
./Opus/asm/wordgrep.asm:another_fucking_out_of_range_jump:

What kind of business professionalism does _that_ inspire? ;-)

Imagine what comments you could find in current programs
made by MICROS~1 when... yes, _if_ you could ever get the
source code from them. :-)

Joke aside. I would not treat comments that seriously.
It's much more important that source code is present and
of high quality. Developers are real humans. From time
to time, they do stupid things, and one of the least
important stupid things is leaving such a comment in the
source code. Just don't put too much emphasize in it.

By the way, I've checked my local FreeBSD v8 source tree
and didn't find the comment you've mentioned. Can you tell
_where_ (which particular OS, version, file, line) I can
find it?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany