Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:11:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual boot FreeBSD + OSF1?

You might remember I asked before about setting up a dual-boot alpha
for FreeBSD and OSF1 (aka Tru64).  I've installed the 2nd disk and
I've received the software, so I'm ready to proceed.  But I have a
couple of questions to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot.
The system is running FreeBSD just dandy and I don't want to mess that
up.

The Tru64 release comes with a "Firmware Update V5.6" CD-ROM which
you are supposed to install first.  Should I really?  My system as
it stands currently has the following characteristics as reported by
"show config":

    Aspen Systems Durango II Workstation
    SRM Console T4.9-51
    VMS Palcode V1.20-1
    OSF Palcode V1.22-1
    SROM Revision 3.1
    Alpha 21164A-2

I'm not even sure which of these the "firmware update" will affect.

Second, I notice that "show os_type" reports "NT".  Should I change
it to "unix"?

Thanks in advance,
Mr. Worry Wart