Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 02:29:03 +0100
From:      Richard Bradley <rtb27@cam.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /rescue is huge!!

Hi everyone,

I recently tried to add a user to my FreeBSD box, but was amazed to find th=
at=20
the / partition was full! I had a look, and the culprit is the "/rescue"=20
folder, holding 135 statically linked binaries of nearly 4Mb each, giving a=
=20
folder size of 491Mb!=20

The Handbook says that "100 MB is a reasonable size for this filesystem. Yo=
u=20
will not be storing too much data on it, as a regular FreeBSD install will=
=20
put about 40 MB of data here." (=A7 2.5.5). I gave my root partition what I=
=20
thought was a generous 512Mb.

What is going on here? I read the "rescue" manpage, and while it might be a=
=20
nice thing to fall back on, I can't justify it over being able to add user=
=20
accounts.

Should I just delete this lot? Should I have a bigger / partition?

Is the handbook out of date in this respect? (/rescue was added in 5.2)

All comments welcome...

Rich