Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:57:57 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        vijay <vijay@IPRG.nokia.com>
Cc:        Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie - Audio CD question

vijay wrote:

> Hi, I am new to FreeBSD. I wanted to know if I can play audio
> CDs on "my" system. I have culled the following information from
> dmesg
>
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <FUJITSU MPC3064AT>
> wd0: 6187MB (12672450 sectors), 13410 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T,
> 512 B/S
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6402B/1008>, removable,
> accel, dma, iordis
> acd0: drive speed 5512KB/sec, 256KB cache
> acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA
> acd0: Audio: play, 16 volume levels
> acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
> acd0: Medium: no/blank disc inside, unlocked
>
> I also looked at the freebsd/ports collection under audio and
> found a lot of packages but I am not sure if they will work for
> "my" system. How can I find that ou? Which of these packages
> would be the best if I can do it? Also, would I need to change
> the kernel configuration and do a kernel recompile?

Playing CDs under FreeBSD is easy.  You need the cdcontrol command,
which
is included in the base install.  Just point MUSIC_CD to your cdrom
(with
a command like 'export MUSIC_CD=acd0' or 'setenv MUSIC_CD acd0' and run
cdcontrol.  Once cdcontrol is started, just type "play".

Of course if you want to do things like control the volume, you will
probably want to recompile your kernel with sound support, as outlined
in the handbook.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org