Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 18:38:55 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic question on using portupgrade

parv wrote:

> in message <200112260021.fBQ0LId21909@ptavv.es.net>,
> wrote Kevin Oberman thusly...
>
>>FWIW, I have never seen any reason to NOT run with -Rr. I'm not sure
>>why these are not the defaults, though.

> i for one not want to wait for portupgrade to take long time[0] to
> finish by default.

At times you really do not have much of a choice. For example, upgrade
png from one of the old versions and then try to run KDE-2.2.2. Most of
the time, you will either end up with really strange looking images
(buttons and etc) or kde will simply not run.

If you tell portupgrade to update all of the dependencies fanning off of
png, you will have to wait for a long time for them to build. I think it
currently takes 4 hours on my AMD 1600+ XP to just build kde-2.2.2. If I
build kde using "make package" in parallel on 2 or 3 systems and use
pkg_add on the systems that didn't build a package, it is much faster
but I can't use portupgrade to do this.

You can tell portupgrade to only use packages but then the packages you
want it to use had better have been build with the current png. This
doesn't happen over night. The port upgrade to png will typically appear
several days before all of the dependent programs have been rebuilt. You
sill have to wait for the updated package to make it to your ftp mirror.
Portupgrade will protect your environment but it comes at a cost.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA