Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:07:09 -0500
From:      Tim Middleton <x@Vex.Net>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
Subject:   Re: Building or running SWT applications with FreeBSD

On December 12, 2003 12:45 pm, Herve Quiroz wrote:
> But more seriously, it would be nice if there could be a swing port of
> SWT. Talk about a nonsense: implementing a replacement for AWT ontop of

Ah. Nice solution. (-: Somehow I doubt anyone's going to put much time into
this though, no matter how hilarious it would be.

My problem with SWT, besides the limiting of platforms, and complications in
toolkit dependancies, is that it sticks one with GTK on unix platforms. It's
the same problem with wxWindows which I have occassoinally used, and takes
the same approach as SWT in using native platform widgets wherever possible:
it looks great and is fast on windows. But Unix it binds to GTK and is
generally flakey, slower and looks much worse in many cases (especially file
dialogs). Sigh.

Maybe if someone built better support for Swing into Eclipse (i'm not really
that experienced with Eclipse, but I'm told it has much better support for
SWT... after all it is built with SWT itself).... but as you say, that's
getting off topic, not being a FreeBSD/Java issue.

> I saw posts from people willing to port the latest Eclipse so maybe one
> day...  I am stuck with mlnet (mldonkey) until then (which performs

Yeah, I saw that too and am hoping...! Even though 3.0 is a development
version it seems just about everyone in the windows world is using it
already.

I actually had a bit of discussion with the Azureus people as to the extreme
difficulty in compiling their code: they told me that they never "compile"
it. They all just work in eclipse (3), and the IDE hides away the mess that
their code base is in... compiles everything automatically on the fly... a
few wizards later their jars pop out. Great for them, not s great for us.

They offered to walk me through the steps of getting the beast imported into
Eclipse via their IRC channel if I was interested... but I don't really have
the time for that... it looks like a fun project to hack around with a bit,
but not if it takes weeks just to get the thing into a state where you can
compile it...  and even if I did... no Eclipse 3 on this platform, yet.

> Next step: build a port for azureus... ;)

Taking into consideration my previous comment above, good luck. (-: Though
they tell me they are going to put some time into cleaning up the code base
soon.

Also I shouldn't criticize messy code bases too much, considering the
narrative mess my post describing my adventures getting the thing running
was. (-:

Also there is another issue I forgot to mention. I'm not sure if it's a bug,
or a platform specific issue, or just the way it works, but I've found
Azureus eats file handles like crazy. If you have a half dozen or so large
complete/seeded files loaded into the thing, you can expect it to open about
5000+ files! It seems to open a new file for each chunk. Maybe it's a garbage
collection issue (combined with sloppy coding)... don't know. I had to sysctl
up the limit of kern.maxfiles on my system a few times for this thing... I
never noticed this behavior on windows... but then one seldom knows what
messes are going on hidden from view in windows...

> I am stuck with mlnet (mldonkey)

xmule is looking really nice these days also (despite being built on top of
wxWindows which i bitched about above); though i'm not that much into the
edonkey stuff, so rarely use it.

--
Tim Middleton | Cain Gang Ltd | One afternoon, disgusted, bravo, you fall
x@veX.net     | www.Vex.Net   | asleep. --T.Lilburn (MS)