Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:59:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd@fishballoon.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
Subject:   Re: 6.0 on Dell 1850 with PERC4e/DC RAID?

Jung-uk Kim writes:

| > This is probably a faily good scheme.  Caveat is that you can have
| > a "optimal" RAID that is broken :-(
|
| That's lame.  Under what condition does it happen, do you know?

Running RAID 10, a drive was swapped and the rebuild started on the
replacement drive.  The rebuild complained about the source drive
for the mirror rebuild having read errors that couldn't be recovered.
It continued on and finished re-creating the mirror.  Then the RAID
proceeeded onto a background init which they normal did and started
failing that and re-starting the background init over and over again.
The box changed the RAID from degraded to optimal when the rebuild
completed (with errors).  Do a dd of the entire RAID logical device
returned an error at the bad sector since it couldn't recover that.
The RAID controller reported an I/O error and still left the RAID as
optimal.

We reported this and where told that's the way it is designed :-(
Probably the spec. is defined by whatever the RAID controller happens
to do versus what make sense :-(

So far this has only happened once.  Changing firmware did not help.

Doug A.

PS. sorry for the null email before this.  Hit the wrong key.