Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:20:25 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UMA caches draining

--PRJsLXMT40XvOKNo

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 11:43:43AM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
> On 07.01.2014 07:48, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 02:51:09AM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
> >> I have some questions about memory allocation. At this moment our UMA
> >> never returns freed memory back to the system until it is explicitly
> >> asked by pageout daemon via uma_reclaim() call, that happens only when
> >> system is quite low on memory. How does that coexist with buffer cache
> >> and other consumers? Will, for example, buffer cache allocate buffers
> >> and be functional when most of system's memory uselessly consumed by U=
MA
> >> caches? Is there some design how that supposed to work?
> > Allocation of the pages which consitute a new buffer creates the pressu=
re
> > and causes pagedaemon wakeup if amount of free pages is too low.  Look
> > at the vm_page_grab() call in allocbuf().  Also note that buffer cache
> > is not shrinked in response to the low memory events, and buffers pages
> > are excluded from the page daemon scans since pages are wired.
>=20
> Thanks. I indeed can't see respective vm_lowmem handler. But how does it=
=20
> adapt then? It should have some sort of back pressure. And since it=20
> can't know about UMA internals, it should probably just see that system=
=20
> is getting low on physical memory. Won't it shrink itself first in such=
=20
> case before pagedaemon start its reclaimage?
Buffer cache only caches buffers, it is not supposed to provide the file
content cache, at least for VMIO. The buffer cache size is capped during
system configuration, the algorithm to calculate the cache size is not
easy to re-type, but look at the vfs_bio.c:kern_vfs_bio_buffer_alloc().
On the modern machines with 512MB of RAM of more, it is essentially 10%
of the RAM which is dedicated to buffer cache.

>=20
> When vm_lowmem condition finally fire, it will purge different data from=
=20
> different subsystems, potentially still usable. UMA caches though have=20
> no valid data, only an allocation optimization. Shouldn't they be freed=
=20
> first somehow, at least an unused part, as in my patch? Also I guess=20
> having more really free memory should make M_NOWAIT allocations to fail=
=20
> less often.
IMO this is not a right direction. My opinion is that M_NOWAIT
allocation should be mosty banned from the top-level of the kernel, and
then interrupt threads and i/o path should try hard to avoid allocations
at all.

Purging UMA caches on first sign of low memory condition would make UMA
slower, possibly much slower for many workloads which are routinely
handled now. Our code is accustomed to fast allocators, look at how many
allocations typical syscall makes for temp buffers. Such change
requires profiling of varying workloads to prove that it does not cause
regressions.

I suspect that what you do is tailored for single (ab)user of UMA. You
might try to split UMA low memory handler into two, one for abuser, and
one for the rest of caches.

>=20
> >> I've made an experimental patch for UMA
> >> (http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/drain_unused.patch) to make it every 20
> >> seconds return back to the system cached memory, unused for the last 20
> >> seconds. Algorithm is quite simple and patch seems like working, but I
> >> am not sure whether I am approaching problem from the right side. Any
> >> thoughts?
>=20
> --=20
> Alexander Motin