Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2015 12:20:38 -0800
From:      Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Successfully installed FreeBSD 10.1 on Apple PowerMac G5 -- BUT -- system freezes after a few minutes of running.

Thanks!

I hope to be able to get the log files by removing the disk and putting =
it in a different machine, or by booting the install disk as a =93live=94 =
system and extracting the log files from the disk to a USB stick.  I=92ll =
report when I have something.

As for tracking down the specific versions of things, I installed from =
unmodified
	FreeBSD-10.1-STABLE-powerpc-powerpc64-20150121-r277483-disc1.iso
It was a plain vanilla install =97 nothing special.
It=92s worth noting that the machine stayed up happily all through the =
install process.
I did check the MD5sum so I=92m pretty sure I got a good copy.
And a big =93Thank You!=94 to Bill Sorenson for confirming that this is =
the latest/best=85

I will follow up on your point about removing parts until I get a =
working config.  I=92ll start by stripping out all RAM above 2GB and any =
unneeded PCI cards.

Enjoy!
Rick

On Feb 2, 2015, at 12:05 AM, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:

> If every boot gives some time before things freeze up you might be =
able to extract and report the outputs of commands like:
>=20
> $ freebsd-version -ku; uname -a
> 10.1-RELEASE-p5
> 10.1-RELEASE-p5
> FreeBSD FBSDG5M1 10.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p5 #0 r277808M: =
Fri Jan 30 00:58:33 PST 2015     =
root@FBSDG5M1:/usr/obj/usr/home/markmi/src_10_1_releng/sys/GENERIC64vtsc =
 powerpc
>=20
> (There is more than one 'powerpc64 FreeBSD 10.1 "disk1" CD' that can =
be burned, such 10.1-RELEASE vs., say, a recent 10.1-STABLE. But it =
turns out that until very recently powerpc64 CD burns did not work for =
booting PowerMac G5s so more than normal is known about which versions =
could have be installed from a CD.)
>=20
> Despite the mention of there being no console messages I list some =
basics below about dumping messages out anyway...
>=20
> $ tail /var/log/messages
> Feb  1 21:37:40 FBSDG5M1 kernel: uhid1: <vendor 0x05ac product 0x9218, =
class 0/0, rev 1.00/1.0e, addr 7> on usbus1
> Feb  1 21:37:40 FBSDG5M1 kernel: hid_get_item: Number of items =
truncated to 255
> Feb  1 21:37:40 FBSDG5M1 last message repeated 2 times
> Feb  1 21:37:41 FBSDG5M1 ntpd[991]: ntpd 4.2.4p5-a (1)
> Feb  1 21:37:43 FBSDG5M1 dbus[924]: [system] Activating service =
name=3D'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit' (using servicehelper)
> Feb  1 21:37:43 FBSDG5M1 dbus[924]: [system] Activating service =
name=3D'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1' (using servicehelper)
> Feb  1 21:37:43 FBSDG5M1 dbus[924]: [system] Successfully activated =
service 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1'
> Feb  1 21:37:43 FBSDG5M1 dbus[924]: [system] Successfully activated =
service 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit'
> Feb  1 21:37:52 FBSDG5M1 ntpd[992]: time reset +1.748777 s
> Feb  1 21:38:01 FBSDG5M1 login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0
>=20
> $ dmesg -a | tail
> Configuring vt: blanktime.
> Performing sanity check on sshd configuration.
> Starting sshd.
> Starting sendmail_submit.
> Starting sendmail_msp_queue.
> Starting cron.
> Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.
>=20
> Sun Feb  1 21:37:42 PST 2015
> Feb  1 21:38:01 FBSDG5M1 login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0
>=20
> tail by itself may not give enough context. Full copies would be nice =
but I do not know about fitting the time before the hangup.
>=20
> The intent is to have a more complete specification of which 10.1 =
variant and to see if problems are being logged before the complete =
hangup.
>=20
> Others may well have better suggestions than mine for getting =
evidence.
>=20
>=20
> You should probably indicate if you are using just the console vs., =
say, X11. (Although it is probably just the console if it never stayed =
up long enough to establish more context.) Some folks may want to know =
the video card involved or other configuration information, even for =
simple console usage.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Historically for a base system configuration (video card & monitor, =
SSD appropriate to the SATA vintage, appropriate superdrive =
vintage/variant that FreeBSD would tolerate) if I've made it to the =
login prompt and I had not mixed and matched distinct kernel and world =
vintages for some reason then I've had no later troubles with panics, =
hangups, or the like for 10.0 or 10.1 vintages that I've installed.
>=20
> But that was after I removed all the PCI-Express cards (G5 quad-core) =
but the video: My earlier attempts at using the pre-existing SATA cards =
and SSD's/disks from them was unreliable even for simple console usage. =
I took the direction of simplifying/removing stuff until what was left =
just worked, such as the built-in SATA. I've not gone back yet to figure =
out if I can make anything that I removed work well. (I'm still =
learning/investigating other things for FreeBSD and am in no rush about =
what I removed.)
>=20
> I temporarily had my hands on a PowerMac G5 that would overheat if =
kept busy. But its fan would be going faster than normal after warming =
up while idle. The fans would go full speed well before the shutdown =
when it would overheat. So that sort of issue is not a match to what you =
report.