Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:10:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk bug???

According to Tim Vanderhoek:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
>
> > Seems that the mere presence of tk.h or tck.h in /usr/local/include
> > will stop the building of ALL ports unless I follow the instructions
> > to remove these files.  This is rather draconian especially when the
> > most ports do not use tk/tcl.
>
> Think of it as a proactive bug.  :-)

Proactive???

cd /usr/ports/x11/lesstif
make
===>  lesstif-0.83 : You have an old file (/usr/local/include/tk.h) that
could cause problems for some ports to compile. Please remove it and try
again. You may have to reinstall tk from the ports tree afterwards.

pkg_delete tk-8.0.2
pkg_delete: package `tk-8.0.2' is required by these other packages
and may not be deinstalled:
tkman-2.0.5
tkinfo-2.1
tkcvs-6.0
gimp-0.99.18

This cascades into a pandora's box of de-installing/re-installing
several perfecting fine working utilities just to install a new port that
has nothing to do with tk/tcl.

> If you really must, you can define NO_IGNORE (or something like
> that) to get past the check...

After reading bsd.port.mk, I recognized I could define NO_IGNORE.
Unfortunately, I haven't analyzed the potential side effects of
NO_IGNORE with respect to this section of bsd.port.mk

.if !defined(NO_IGNORE)
.if (defined(IS_INTERACTIVE) && defined(BATCH))
IGNORE= "is an interactive port"
.elif (!defined(IS_INTERACTIVE) && defined(INTERACTIVE))
IGNORE= "is not an interactive port"
.elif (defined(REQUIRES_MOTIF) && !defined(HAVE_MOTIF))
IGNORE= "requires Motif"
.elif (defined(MOTIF_ONLY) && !defined(REQUIRES_MOTIF))
IGNORE= "does not require Motif"
.elif (defined(NO_CDROM) && defined(FOR_CDROM))
IGNORE= "may not be placed on a CDROM: ${NO_CDROM}"
.elif (defined(RESTRICTED) && defined(NO_RESTRICTED))
IGNORE= "is restricted: ${RESTRICTED}"
.elif (defined(USE_X11) && !exists(${X11BASE}))
IGNORE= "uses X11, but ${X11BASE} not found"
.elif defined(BROKEN)
IGNORE= "is marked as broken: ${BROKEN}"
.endif

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu