Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 11:11:50 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Storage question

On 09/09/15 10:35, Paul Kraus wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2015, at 1:24, William A. Mahaffey III <wam@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>
>> On 09/08/15 16:39, Paul Pathiakis via freebsd-questions wrote:
>>> Just curious, why not ZFS?  It is extremely stable and then you don't have to worry about properly sizing but you can limit the size of a parition from growing out of control.  Due to the pooling, you have access to all your storage on the drive to all the partitions.
>> Good question. 1 of the new boxen (the one that is tight for storage) is tight for CPU, quad-core AMD A4-5000, 1.5 GHz, not much firepower, & will be tasked w/ MythTV by default, so I guessed that adding ZFS might overpower it. I otherwise agree w/ the advantages of ZFS.
> Unless you turn on compression (and I would NOT on a MythTV box), ZFS is generally not CPU bound but more constrained by RAM. I have been running all ZFS systems on N40 and N54 CPUs (HP Micro Proliant servers) which are dual core 1.0 and 1.3 GHz and getting reasonable speed. I can sustain about 60 MB/sec writes via Samba with compression on. I have 8 GB in one and 16 GB in the other.
>
> --
> Paul Kraus
> paul@kraus-haus.org

Hmmmm .... could you amplify on that point about no compression w/
MythTV ? This box will have 16 GB of RAM & 32 GB of swap, so I *think* I
will be OK on RAM. I will probably stream video over my network most of
the time, but might be using the ZFS as well .... I just got done
copying the stuff from
https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE verbatim into
2 shell scripts to automate the setup, but if there are known issues w/
MythTV & ZFS+compression, more rethinking will be needed.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.