Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:58:03 +0900
From:      Takanori Watanabe <takawata@shidahara1.planet.kobe-u.ac.jp>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to use smb(4) interface?

Hello,
I wrote SMBus controller driver for Intel PIIX4 Power Management Controller,
and I don't know how to test the driver.
I think smb(4) is generic "upstream" driver for SMBus, but I don't know how to
recognize and how to use it.Opening /dev/smb0 (device node made) only results
EINVAL.
Currently I test code in PCI probe routine by issuing recieve method from
smbus address 0xa0-0xa6(assigned for DIMM EEPROM ) and
0x58-0x5e(assigned for Hectra * hardware sensor) .

In my side, 0xa0,0xa2,0xa4 Succeed and others Failed, this matches
the machine configuration.
(It holds 768MB DRAM(256M DIMMx3) and no hardware sensor.)

any Ideas?

My code is at
http://www.planet.kobe-u.ac.jp/~takawata/intiic.c
http://www.planet.kobe-u.ac.jp/~takawata/intiicreg.h
and to use it, you will need changes in

smbus.c
conf/files.????
configuration file.

and so on.

Takanori Watanabe
Public Key</a>
Key fingerprint =  2C 51 E2 78 2C E1 C5 2D  0F F1 20 A3 11 3A 62 2A