Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:22:06 +0800
From:      Foo JH <jhfoo-ml@extracktor.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   simplest way to get gnome/ kde up and running

  Hi guys,

I've been trying without luck to get KDE/ Gnome configured. I've been
reading and re-reading (and trying and re-trying) to get the window
manager running, but it's been driving me nuts.

- How far I've gotten:
1. Installing Xorg from the DVD package is easy.  I've added the
hald_enable and dbus_enable to /etc/rc.conf
2. Xorg -configure looks like it's working too: i get the skeleton
outlined window manager that I believe is fwm
3. Xorg -configure xorg.conf.new -retro works too

- Where I'm stuck:
1. So far ~/.xinitrc is missing. But I followed the Handbank anyway and
did this:
echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc

2. Running startx crashes now because it complains
/usr/local/bin/gnome-session is missing  - that's true.

Am I missing something? Or is there an easier way that Linux distros
have been very successful at? I'm a Freebie and I'd prefer to go with
FreeBSD as much as possible.