Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 20:57:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nadav@barcode.co.il, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/ftpio.h is not C++ safe

Terry Lambert wrote:

>> These compilers run under FreeBSD?????
>
> No.  But I compile code from the FreeBSD source tree on these machines.
--SNIP--
> No, but I compile code from the FreeBSD source tree on these machines.
--SNIP

How many people really do this?  Is it worth the effort to support this instead
of supporting more modern styles and standards.

> Also, I think you are forgetting that the reason for the UCB license
> on FreeBSD was so that people could take the code and do what they
> want with it, including compiling it on "OTHER" systems, not as part
> of a FreeBSD system.

Does this mean I've got to write my code for those systems?  I don't think
so....

Also, I've never said a word about the license (a matter of fact, the license
I use is less strict than UCBs').  I was just trying to figure out why we
are trying to support "OLD" systems when we are supposed to be a modern
OS.  The orignal 4.4-lite files are still out there.  Those can used for
the older systems.

> 					terry@lambert.org

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team