Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:29:51 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), don@calis.BlackSun.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for feedback on xl (3c905/3c905B) driver

> > This was done as part of the announcement.  It's also in the commit
> > logs, which are the authoratative reference.
> >
> > Tracking either -stable or -current without reading the logs is like
> > anything else your mother warned you about.
>
> This seems like an escalation of responsibility for the user.

I guess that depends on what counts as escalation.  There's a tradeoff
between how much you're willing to risk vs. how much work you're
willing to do to avoid it.  As I mentioned, I'm fairly certain that
Bill mentioned in his announcement about the xl driver that it replaced
the vx driver for the hardware it supports.

> I've read (and agree) that tracking -stable without subscribing to the
> stable mailing list is asking for whatever you get.  I'd never heard a
> requirement for reading the CVS logs before.

It depends on how detailed and explicit you want your change
notifications.  Some people would argue that you should be reading the
diffs as well.  Otherwise, I'd have to say that you have to accept a
few wrinkles.

For sure, it would be nice if there was a way of making sure that
everyone reading -stable paid attention to everything that was being
done and said; it just doesn't seem to happen.  I was just making the
point that if you haven't availed yourself of all the information, you
really don't have much of a case for complaining.

Regardless, the traditional recourse seems to have you back on your
feet, and I expect we'd like to know more about how well it's working
for you than whether or not we ought to be holding peoples' hands.  8)