Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:23:33 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.lcs.mit.edu>, sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: woo-hoo!

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:57:04PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> The real question is can you boot from a SCSI disk?  I have not been
> successful in doing so.  I got NetBSD installed on it, but OpenBoot won't
> boot it.  Solaris 8 (7/01) did not even see the SCSI disk during install.
> The latest firmware claims to fix booting from a Symbios controller, but
> it didn't for me.

We often used U5 maschines together with the 2 channel SCSI Controller
from Sun and replaced the IDE Disk with a SCSI one.
All maschines bootet Solaris 7 and 8 from SCSI just fine.
But you need the Sun version of the controller because of the open
firmware bios.
The first important point is if probe-scsi-all of the rom-monitor finds
the controller and devices.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:18:15PM -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> In article <20011121195704.C57107@dragon.nuxi.com> you write:
> >The real question is can you boot from a SCSI disk?
>
> For what I'm doing, I don't actually care that much; it's no hardship
> to netboot so long as I don't have to run an NFS server.  Hopefully we
> will be able to deal with the CMD646 soon enough for me to care.

The CMD646 works at least on my -current PC164 alpha without troubles:
atapci0: <CMD 646 ATA controller> port 0x10380-0x1038f irq 5 at device 11.0 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata0: interrupting at ISA irq 14
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ata1: interrupting at ISA irq 15
ad0: 1219MB <Conner Peripherals 1275MB - CFS1275A> [2477/16/63] at ata0-master WDMA2

atapci0@pci0:11:0:      class=0x010180 card=0x00000000 chip=0x06461095 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'CMD Technology Inc.'
    device   = 'PCI0646 bus master IDE'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = ATA

Unfortunately I don't have a Ultra machine to play with.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de