Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:30:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsdinstall misaligns partitions

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Shouldn't bsdinstall attempt to align partitions on 4k boundaries
> both for the benefit of 4k drives and flash storage?

I think the latest version does.

> I just installed 9.1R i386 for fun and practice, in fact I installed
> it several times, and I played around with the partitioning options.
>
> * The modern GPT scheme reserves 34 sectors at the start of the disk.
>  Your newly created partitions will start at offset 34 and will
>  therefor be misaligned.  I ended up configuring a 63 kB freebsd-boot
>  partition, which ensures that the following partitions are aligned.
>
> * The old MBR scheme is even worse.  The FreeBSD slice will start
>  at sector 63, guaranteeing that any partitions contained within
>  will be misaligned.  There is no way to fix this, unless you
>  shell out and run fdisk manually.

Even worse news: you can't fix it manually.  Both fdisk and gpart are
slaves to the kernel code that deals with MBR layouts, and will align to
the old CHS values.  I have not found a way to use FreeBSD to create an
MBR slice that starts at 1M, block 2048.  The CHS alignment always
forces it to block 2079, a multiple of 63.

However, gpart's -a alignment flag will offset BSD partitions within the
slice so they are aligned.

> * Funnily enough, the ancient BSD "dangerously dedicated" scheme
>  is the only one that out of the box does not misalign partitions.

The filesystems don't begin at the start of the slice anyway.  There is
a bsdlabel there.

> I'm presumably not the first one to notice this issue, and yes, I'm
> mostly just venting.

A way to override the CHS alignment would be welcome.