Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2007 13:56:23 +0200
From:      Jona Joachim <jaj@hcl-club.lu>
To:        Stephen.Clark@seclark.us
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade 6.2 to xorg 7.2

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:22:48 -0400
Stephen Clark <Stephen.Clark@seclark.us> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> A few weeks ago I installed 6.2. I did a cvsup of the ports and now
> anytime I try to make
> anything that uses X I get something like the following:
>
> ===>  Patching for tk-8.5.a.6_1
> ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for tk-8.5.a.6_1
> ===>   tk-8.5.a.6_1 depends on
> file: /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries - not found
> ===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries in
> /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries
> Read /usr/ports/UPDATING for the procedure to upgrade or install xorg
> 7.2. *** Error code 1

You need to define the XORG_UPGRADE environment variable like
mentioned in UPDATING. I think you have to define the variable even if
you didn't have xorg 6.9 before but I'm not sure.

> I have been following the thread on xorg 7.2.
>
> The /usr/src/UPDATING says under caveats
> "Make sure you have the x11/xorg meta-port installed"
>
> When I run make  in the x11/xorg dir I get  the following which
> says use portupgrade if you want to upgrade X.Org.
>

> /usr/ports/x11/xorg]# make
> This is a meta-port, meaning that it just depends on its subparts of
> the port.
> It won't build and install all the parts until you have typed make
> install This port does not ensure things are upgraded; use
> portupgrade if you want to
> upgrade X.Org.  If you simply type 'make install' it may use over 2GB
> to build
> all of the subports.  You can install the ports singly if you are low
> on space.
>
> So now which is it?
>
> Use the meta port or portupgrade?

2 cases:
1. you have xorg 6.9
	Install the meta port (cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install
clean) if you don't have it yet, then run portupgrade like indicated in
UPDATING.
2. you don't have X installed yet
	Just install the meta port.

> Thanks,
> Steve

Jona

--
"I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns