Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:01:55 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        luis <lramos3@satx.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java port

luis wrote:

>    I have searched the net with google, the mailing list, with no luck.
> I have also checked the man pages and the on line handbook.  Here
> is my problem: I'm trying to install java14 via the ports system.  So
> far,
> I have installed many ports in my 5.3  system all with no problems.
> What happens in trying to install is that I get the error message
> "printf: missing format character", jdk-1.4.2p6_6 is*** Error code 1.
> I had previously downloaded the j2sdk-1_4_2-mozilla_headers-unix.zip
> into the /usr/ports/distfiles directory.  Please let me know  what other
> piece of information is needed to solve this problem or to whom could
> I direct this question.  Thanks.  Luis

A stock answer when something like this happens with *most*
ports is "re-cvsup and try again" ....

Assuming you've tried that (it may be a new experience, or
somehow made complicated by circumstances), I would recommend
two more avenues:  the freebsd-questions@ list, and the
or only the freebsd-questions archive?  The java list has a page at:

Now, the list charter specifies that it is a "specialized" list,
meant for "development of significant Java applications" and
"porting and maintenance of JDK's" ... so, you probably shouldn't
just barge in and ask right away, but it might, just *might*, be
acceptable to ask, real gently, after perusing their archives
and trying whatever else.  Don't pester them too much.  A
quick perusal doesn't show any recent crucifixions, though ....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.