Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 1995 12:58:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Beiter <jwb@hargray.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD IZ BROKED

Well, you guys have some inconsistancies with your docs and install procedure.

Walnut Creek FreeBSD 2.0.5
486/DX4
Adaptec 1542
Seagate ST31230N (second scsi drive) 1010/64/32

One of the FAQs requested a commentary on how I found the install.

First of all, the docs surrounding the partitioning and filesystem creation
screens are too shallow and too hard to find (mebbe put them accessable from
the help screen).

The only thing that really goes into setting up a freebsd on a second disk
(I'm using scsi) is the "troubles" doc in \faq\text. It is also incorrect.

The commands in the troubles Doc do not match the Partition and Label editor
in the install. The doc says "Select first (0) from the (F)disk editor".
The command is (P)artition. It then says "write boot manager with the (B)oot
option"... the command is (S)et bootable.

After figuring out that I am to write the boot manager to the dos partition
on my first scsi disk, I then expected the boot manager to see the FreeBSD
system installed on the second scsi disk. It does not. It only sees teh file
systems I have on the first disk (dos and linux). The "troubles" file says
to enter the command "sd(1,a)/kernel" at the "Boot" prompt.

How do I get this boot prompt? It never appears.
Can I make a boot floppy that will look at my bootable bsd disk? (there are
no instructions how to).

Is this just an undocumented fact that FreeBSD must reside on the first disk?
(that would be very lame)

- JoeB

Joe Beiter                   Hargray Telephone Company
jwb@hargray.com