Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2013 19:00:55 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RPi hangs in bootloader

On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 18:25 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Ian Lepore wrote:
[...]
> > The general thing I'm up to today is learning enough about ubldr to use
> > it effectively, and ultimately to see if it can be used to load a
> > (semi-)generic kernel plus a set of modules you configure in loader.rc.
> > I've just managed to do that by hand, now to see if loader.rc will
> > cooperate.
>
> Let us know how that works out.
>
> Warner

It actually worked out pretty well.  This is my rc file now:

rpi# cat /boot/loader.rc
fdt addr 0x100
load kernel
load uftdi
set autoboot_delay=8000

The tricky bits are... if you're going to use any load commands, "load
kernel" has to be first, and the delay of 8000 compensates for the fact
that the get_timer() routine in the rpi u-boot we're all using right now
returns micros rather than millis.

I think soon we'll be able to stop building kitchen-sink kernels for
things like the *Plug computers and instead just let all the standard
modules get built along with a fairly minimal kernel.  Folks should be
able to download an image and enable features they want to try with a
few edits to loader.rc and a reboot.

-- Ian