Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 12:15:58 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
Cc:        Martin Matuska <matuska@wu-wien.ac.at>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail 8.12.0 and 4.4-RELEASE

In message <5.1.0.14.0.20010909120129.00af0608@pop.schulte.org>,
Christopher Sc
hulte writes:
> Sendmail 8.11.6 was imported into RELENG_4 on August 21.  Since the FreeBSD
> release engineer has frozen the code and made it clear that no new features
> will be included, sendmail 8.12.0 will most certainly not be included in
> 4.4-RELEASE.  I'd expect it to be merged into -STABLE sometime after 4.4 is
> released, possibly to be included into 4.5-RELEASE.

Considering Sendmail 8.12.0 is radically different (new & improved),
especially in the area of security, I would expect it to be tested in
-CURRENT for quite some time before it's MFCed into -STABLE.  Admins
will need to prepare for the paradigm shift.  I, for example, need to
work out the details for implementing it with smtpd.  Others may have
to work out similar issues.  Considering 8.12.0 no longer requires root
privileges people need to consider how they will implement forwarding
to programs such as procmail and slocal.  In short I'd be surprised if
it made it into -STABLE that soon.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC