Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:48:59 -0500
From:      "Wills, Ken" <kwills@gflesch.com>
To:        Bob Giesen <giesen@comm.mot.com>, Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        giesen <giesen@inil.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Plug-n-play modem woes

I haven't done this in quite a while so excuse me if this is not
relevant.

	(1)  Set "PnP OS = No" in your BIOS.
	(2)  Disable both of your com ports (this always made
		it easier to see what was happening...
	(3)  Make sure your kernel has the following

controller	pnp0

From GENERIC on 3.3-STABLE

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9

Change the last two to :

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9

or possibly even:
device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq?
device          sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq?
(I can't remember if this was/is allowed...)

Again, apologies if this is just a rehash of what you already been
doing, but this did work for me on a number of systems and a range
of cheap modems.

Ken